Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Tiff with Target

One of the best things that can happen to a Celiac is when they walk into a conventional grocery store, just looking to pickup some basics (milk, eggs meat) and they stumble across gluten free products hidden within other sections. This happened to me last year at the Target in Roseville, MN. A relative told me that she saw some GF cake mix at that location and was completely surprised by it. I stopped in, looked around and picked up some Tinkyada noodles (my favorite). I took note to remember that this location had GF options but noted that they did NOT have Xanthan Gum (that’s a whole other rant). As we gluten free bakers know, xanthan gum is essential to any GF baked good.

Anyway, I generally try to pickup my bread, bagels, crackers and pasta from locally owned stores that support the GF lifestyle in the Twin Cities so I never really paid attention to what Target or Rainbow were stocking. I personally enjoy Fresh and Natural Foods, The Wedge Co-op or Tailor Made Nutrition.

Last week, however, I desperately needed some bread. If you’re anything like me, your prime grocery shopping time is approximately 10:30 p.m. when you’re finally on your way home after a day full of work and other commitments. So I swung into that same Target in Roseville knowing that they supply some GF products. What I didn’t realize, was that they do not stock all of the GOOD GF products. They had one type of bread (name not be mentioned) and it was one of the breads that I used to eat in the days of mail-ordering gluten free products from Canada. Needless to say, I was desperate so I bought it. Upon arriving home and making a sandwich I immediately regretted my purchase and have vowed to buy bread in bulk from now on from brands I enjoy.

The biggest disappointment of this whole adventure is that this Target is making an effort to supply GF products to their customers but they’re not choosing the best options available. In turn, people will stop purchasing those products (such as myself) and Target will stop carrying any GF products because they aren’t selling well. This isn’t just happening in Target, I’m sure it happens in any corporate store that tries to bring in GF product.

I plan to contact the Target Grocery Manager about this as to actually make something happen. We don’t need any other stores saying that there is “no demand for GF product”. We’re here and we need options!

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I feel your pain.
    What I've found is some Targets do a great job at bringing in good gluten free products (case in point Plymouth location at Rockford and 494). But my "home" Target in Blaine has dwindled down to just a few thing -- certainly not ANY gf bread.
    The Blaine Super Target used to have an endcap with GF carbs, and a few French Meadow sweets in the freezer. But that was about 2-3 years ago now and it really has dwindled since. Sounds like the Roseville stock might be somewhere in between Plymouth and Blaine. My thought is, How does Target expect any gluten free following if they're not consistent in their gluten free options?
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    That's disappointing about your home Target not having ANY GF bread.
    You make an excellent point about the following that Target has the potential to develop. How can I, as a constant GF shopper, guarantee that I can walk into any Target in MN and find a supply of products available to me? I'm sad to say that it's doubtful that I'll ever look to a Super Target as my go-to grocery store when I can't even buy a good loaf of bread. I definitely think that Target needs to bring in a panel of GF shoppers!

    ReplyDelete